Wednesday, February 29, 2012

DIY - Showgirl Stockings!

This is one for all the crafty people and the DIY burlesque ladies. 

Prompted by a question posted on a burlesque forum, Where can you get showgirl stockings, the type that appear to have no band around the top and come all the way up under your butt?

I actually don’t know where you can buy them, but I know how to make them!
In fact I've been making them for years, it’s a great way to resurrect a pair of fishnet tights that have... err... given out, in the crotch, it happens to us all! Or, because stockings don’t come in the variety of colours that tights do, you can have some crazy patterned or coloured stockings that no-one else has. 
 














 These are some that I made a long time ago, but they are still my favourites!

 The Tutorial

Step 1. Choose your tights! 
I havent tried working with opaques or stockings, the ladder factor does concern me, but since these are showgirl tights, fishnets are definitely the go. If you’re really tall and you want them to gather a little or roll down at the top, buy the biggest size you can get, you can always make them shorter.

Step 2. Get cutting.
Cut just below the crotch, use sharp scissors and  long snips. Too easy.

Step 3. Choose your elastic.
I use what I call "knicker" elastic; there are heaps of different kinds available. Elastic that stretches further feels thicker and quickly returns to shape, like the black one I chose is going to fit firmer around the thigh. So its more secure. I also chose some vintage silver lame elastic, just for fun.

Step 4. Cut the elastic.
to judge the length just wrap the elastic around your thigh, you don’t want it too tight, just what feels comfortable. Add 2cm for overlap and cut 2 lengths. Then you want to sew the ends together to make circles of elastic. This bit I find is easier said than done.



Step 5. Get stitching.
Pot the elastic around the top of your tights, stretch them out and pin them down at regular intervals, this helps you to get the gathering even. I sew it on twice to get a better finish, so, sew it on first frilly side down the leg.
Just use a basic zigzag stitch.
 Once you've done that, turn the frill up and sew again.

 And ta-da! You’re done! You can add bows or pompom's or diamantes’ to your heart’s content but I'll leave that up to your discretion!

*** EDIT***

Due to popular request, from all the non-sewing lasses, you can now buy showgirl stockings here!



1 comment:

  1. THese are soooo sexy!! I'm excited to make some for my big thighs. HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete